6 Ways to Save on Your Wedding Catering
Your wedding reception can cap off the perfect day for you and your spouse. Catering costs can put a damper on your celebration, though. Fortunately, with the help of your wedding caterer, you can save money on food and drinks. Here are some tips you can use to trim costs without sacrificing quality.
- Take control of the portions. Although buffets are touted as being less expensive, they allow guests to control servings, which could mean that more food is needed. This also means more staff to ensure food is available. However, a sit-down meal puts the control back in the hands of the catering staff, which could reduce the amount of food needed.
- Have an afternoon wedding. The longer your guests are celebrating with you and your spouse, the more food will be needed. By marrying in the late afternoon, you will only have to worry about serving your guests dinner.
- Add a children's menu. If young guests are being served the same courses as the adults, there is a good chance they might not be eating them. However, if you serve simpler dishes for the children, such as spaghetti or macaroni and a dessert, you can not only save money but also ensure the children enjoy their meal too.
- Offer salads during cocktails. While you and your wedding party are taking photographs and preparing for the wedding reception, your guests can be filling up on salads. Vegetables and select fruits are relatively inexpensive. As an added perk, you can trim down the number of courses you offer for dinner because guests will already be full of salad.
- Opt for seafood that is in season. When certain types of seafood are not in season, the cost of getting enough for your guests is substantially more for your caterer. He or she will pass that cost to you. You can save money by planning your menu based on what is in season.
- Pay close attention to the itemized bill. The caterer will present you with an itemized list of expenses you are facing before you sign the contract. Carefully review the list to determine if there are some costs that can be cut or reduced.
Your wedding caterer has experience with working with couples on a budget. Do not be afraid to ask him or her for suggestions on other ways you can save on food and drinks for your wedding day.
For more information, consult caterers such as Grand Street Cafe.